We could obtain a fee if you use our affiliate hyperlinks. However, this doesn’t impression our suggestions.
Practice a centuries-old approach on this small modern piece.
Found on every little thing from refined 18th-century highboys to muscled Arts & Crafts tables, breadboard ends are a good-looking and time-tested approach to forestall wood panels from warping over time. Correctly made, breadboard ends not solely preserve panels flat, but in addition permit them to broaden and contract with seasonal (or different) modifications in humidity.
Key to profitable breadboard ends are the pins that be a part of the tongue of the panel to the groove on the tip piece. For this utility, the middle pin is mounted in each the panel and finish, however the outer pins are put in in elongated holes that permit the panel to maneuver freely with shifts in humidity. But different breadboard ends, resembling these discovered on a drop-front desk, for instance, characteristic mounted pins on one finish to drive growth and contraction to occur on the unhinged edge.
Cutting Board with Breadboard Ends Cut List
t w l
❏ 1 Center panel 2 x 12 x 16 Hickory
❏2 Breadboard ends 2 x 2 x 12 Walnut
❏ 6 Pins 1⁄4 dia. 1 1⁄4 Hardwood dowel
This small slicing board is a good undertaking on which to get began with breadboard ends, and it encompasses a trendy look with its use of contrasting woods. PWM
1) Rough reduce the inventory. Begin by slicing lengths of 8/4 (2″ thick) hickory inventory to a size of 18″. Cut sufficient items to create a slicing board 12″ extensive when glued up edge to edge.
2) Glue up the panel. Spread a skinny layer of glue (Titebond III or one other waterproof glue is finest) onto all mating edges and clamp them collectively to create a single panel at full width. Try to get no less than one facet flush to create a flat floor.
3) Thickness the inventory. Run the panel by way of your thickness planer, flattest facet down, till the highest is flat. Then flip the board over and flatten the opposite facet as properly. The actual total thickness is much less necessary than ensuring your complete panel is of uniform thickness.
4) Prepare the breadboard ends. Plane the inventory you intend to make use of for breadboard ends all the way down to the identical thickness as the middle panel.
5) Square it up. At the desk noticed, use a miter gauge to sq. up the 2 ends of the middle panel.
6) Cut the tongue. Position the fence 1″ from the blade (together with the blade width) and lift the blade to three⁄8″. Take a number of passes with a single blade to hog away the waste on the ends of the inventory, together with your final move guided by the miter gauge however flush towards the fence. Because you’re eradicating the identical quantity from every face of the panel, the tongue is completely centered.
7) Raise the blade. With the noticed switched off, increase the blade till its top matches the size of the tongue.
8) Cut the groove. On the inventory you’re utilizing for breadboard ends, take a number of passes to hog out the waste to accommodate the tongue. Be certain to flip the inventory and take passes with every face towards the fence in order that the tongue shall be centered. Aim for a match that’s cosy however goes along with solely hand stress.
9) Crosscut the breadboard ends. Mark the width of the middle panel immediately onto the inventory you’re utilizing for the breadboard ends. Use your desk noticed and miter gauge to crosscut it to size.
10) Rip it to width. Now that the entire joinery has been reduce, take away any extra width on the breadboard ends by ripping them on the desk noticed.
11) Prepare for pegs. Set the breadboard ends into place on the panel and drill three 1⁄4″ holes on every finish. The holes ought to undergo either side of the breadboard finish in addition to the tongue on the panel.
12) Allow wooden to maneuver. The middle holes on every tongue must be drilled straight and true. But use a hand drill to ream out (left to proper) the 4 outer holes. These barely wider holes will permit the pegs to remain in the identical spot on the breadboard ends as the primary panel expands and contracts.
13) Glue it up. To permit for inevitable wooden motion, glue solely the middle 3″ of the panel to the breadboard ends. The outer pegs will preserve the ends flush towards the shoulder on the panel even because the panel modifications with humidity.
14) Install the pegs. Clamp the breadboard ends to the panel tightly in place. Use a mallet or hammer to drive quick lengths of 1⁄4″ dowel by way of the breadboard ends and tongue. Round over the forefront of the pegs so they’re simpler to faucet into place. On the middle dowels solely, add a drop of glue earlier than you sink the pegs.
15) Clean it up. Use a flush-cut noticed to trim away the ends of the pegs. If they’re not fairly flush with the breadboard ends, use a pointy chisel to scrub up the cuts.
16) Cut the bevel. Angle the blade in your desk noticed to about 45°. Then bevel the decrease edges of the breadboard ends utilizing a miter gauge to information your reduce.
17) Seal any imperfections. Use a pencil dipped in epoxy to drip epoxy into any knots so micro organism doesn’t collect within the crevices.
18) Make it shine. Use a lint-free cotton rag to wipe in your end of selection. This board was completed with mineral oil and wax.
19) Give it a carry. Screwing rubber ft onto the underside of the slicing board in any respect 4 corners not solely raises the slicing board up off your counter, it additionally lends somewhat grip so it’s much less more likely to transfer when in use.
Here are some provides and instruments we discover important in our on a regular basis work across the store. We could obtain a fee from gross sales referred by our hyperlinks; nevertheless, we’ve got fastidiously chosen these merchandise for his or her usefulness and high quality.